Medical Malpractice Lawyers – North Carolina

For families in North Carolina dealing with a child with cerebral palsy or another disability that is the result of medical malpractice, there is hope.  There are many resources that can help families to deal with their medical needs, social needs and legal needs.  At Gershon, Willoughby, Getz & Smith, LLC, we are trained doctors and lawyers who help parents in North Carolina to get the financial remunerations to which they are entitled as a result of medical malpractice. We assist families who face terrible medical malpractice situations to gain the financial recoveries they are entitled to – and that their child with cerebral palsy or another disability deserves.

Here, we offer a list of resources to help families in North Carolina who are dealing with a child born or diagnosed with cerebral palsy.

Cerebral Palsy Resources in North Carolina
Parent to Parent of North Carolina
Parent to Parent North Carolina is a support network that enables parents who are raising children with special needs like cerebral palsy to connect with other parents.   As their website explains, it allows parents to “connect with another parent who has already learned the language and found the resources.”  Support parents are trained to lend support to those in need, and there are training dates throughout the year held throughout North Carolina.

Family Support Network of North Carolina/Central Directory of Resources
CB #7340
University of NC at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7340
(919) 966-2841; (800) 852-0042

Parent Training & Information Project
ECAC is a private non-profit organization that is operated by and staffed primarily with parents of children with disabilities and special health care needs.  We have an extremely diverse staff and strive to bring multiple perspectives to our work.  I hope our information reflects our commitment to ALL parents and ALL children and collaboration intended to improve the education and lives of our children.

Parent Training & Information Project
Connie Hawkins, Executive Director
ECAC, Inc. (Exceptional Children’s Assistance Center)
P.O. Box 16
Davidson, NC 28036
(704) 892-1321V/TTY); (800) 962-6817 (In NC only)

United Cerebral Palsy of North Carolina

Family Support / Respite
Support is very important to a family’s mental and physical health as well as its ability to cope. That goes double for individuals and families with disabilities, where support then becomes a critical issue. Families with disabilities are not just dealing with young children with disabilities. It affects people of all ages. As baby-boomers age, families may be dealing with cross-generational support issues.  United Cerebral Palsy of North Carolina offers support in different forms. Contact UCP to find out more.

United Cerebral Palsy of NC
Mrs. Connie Cochran, Executive Director
P.O. Box 27707
Raleigh, NC 27611-7707
(919) 832-3787 ; (800) 868-3787

Social Service Resources for Children with Cerebral Palsy in North Carolina

Here is a list of a few organizations that can assist families who have a child with cerebral palsy.

State Department of Education: Special Education
E. Lowell Harris, Director
Exceptional Children Division
Department of Public Instruction
301 N. Wilmington St, Education Bldg., #570
Raleigh, NC 27601-2825
(919) 715-1565

Programs for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities:
Ages Birth Through Three Years
Duncan Munn, Branch Head of Child & Adolescent Services
Developmental Disabilities Services Section
Division of MH, DD & Substance Abuse Services
Department of Health and Human Services
325 North Salisbury Street
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 733-3654

State Vocational Rehabilitation Agency
Bob H. Philbeck, Director
Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services
Department of Human Resources
Post Office Box 26053
Raleigh, NC 27611
(919) 733-3364; (919) 733-5924 (TTY)

Office of State Coordinator of
Vocational Education for Students with Disabilities

Willie J. Randolph, Director
Workforce Development Education
Department of Public Instruction
301 N. Wilmington St
Raleigh, NC 27601-2825
(919) 715-1644

State Developmental Disabilities Planning Council
Holly Riddle, Executive Director
NC Council on DD
1508 Western Blvd.
Raleigh, NC 27606
(919) 733-6566; (800) 357-6916

State Developmental Disabilities Program
Patricia Porter, Chief
Developmental Disability Services Section
Div. of MH, DD & Substance Abuse Services
Department of Health and Human Services
325 North Salisbury Street
Raleigh, NC 27603
(919) 733-3654

Other Disability Organizations

Easter Seals, North Carolina
Adele Foschia, President
2315 Myron Drive
Raleigh, NC 27607
(919) 783-8898; (800) 662-7119

VSA (Very Special Arts) North Carolina
Fred Baars, Executive Director
Department of Public Instruction
301 N. Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27601-2825
(919) 715-1597